Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Spiritual Parenting

Self development is an ongoing quest in my life. On the parenting front, “The Seven Spiritual Laws for Parents” by Deepak Chopra is a must read. The book focuses on how to help your child look internally, to the beauty within themselves and the world around them.

One important take away, for me, was asking your child each day how they made a difference. I used this question to prompt my daughter to think about things she has learned about herself, how her actions help others, or how she can be productive in society.

Focusing on the questions Chopra provides, I found myself learning more about my children and the things that make them feel special and valuable. One of my favorite parts was the daily focus ideas. An example: Monday is a day to focus on giving. Teach your child that if they want to get something, they need to give it in return. For example, if they want respect, they need to give it.

The book gives ideas on how to plant the seed of giving in your child by creating family rituals to reinforce values. I find myself going back to parts of this book again and again. Chopra has been inspirational in my life and this book added to that. I think this is a must-read for parents wishing to foster compassion and caring in their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment