Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Stolen Life

I am intrigued by memoirs, reading the true story of someone else's life and seeing how they have overcome hurdles and challenges.

"A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard is not to be missed. I was drawn into the news when she was found after being held captive for 18 years.

Having your child kidnapped is a horrifying prospect for any parent. And then not knowing where they are, if they are dead or alive, for 18 years...I cannot imagine. And, of course, who can imagine being that child. Being kidnapped at 11, being held in a backyard prison, bearing the children of your captor....unimaginable.

Jaycee tells her story in a straightforward, honest voice. I relished every page. I thought of her constantly while reading the book, and still keep her in my thoughts. What she has overcome is simply amazing. This was her story to tell, and I appreciated the lessons she imparted.

No comments:

Post a Comment