Monday, March 26, 2012

Mixed review on "Somewhere Inside"

The story of two American women held prisoner in North Korea is told by one of the captives in “Somewhere Inside.” The story unfolds through two points of view. That of Laura Ling, held captive, and her sister Lisa Ling, working to gain her freedom.

It was a touching story of family bonds, hope and the bond between sisters. I enjoyed the story from that perspective, but I had some issues with it, otherwise. In the back of my mind I kept thinking of the thousands of people held captive that don’t have the political connections of the Ling sisters. Laura Ling was given extremely special treatment. And what about the people that she may have hurt by writing this book? Her guards, and the refugees? I feel that she put her own well-being ahead of many others by publicizing her account.

This book is a good read but lacks insight and depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment