Friday, February 15, 2013

The Presidents Club

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy

This book had me from the introduction. I read this during the 2012 election season and the intro quoted Theodore Roosevelt: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is not effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory or defeat." I was nodding my head and saying "Exactly!" as I read this quote. I have the utmost respect for the office of President and the history and the men who have filled the role fascinate me.

This book was just amazing. It follows the relationships built amongst former Presidents; beginning with Truman and Hoover on the day of Eisenhower's inauguration. Told in intimate fashion, the book humanizes these great men. I learned something about each President featured in the book that I didn't already know. I saw sides of them I hadn't considered.

I don't remember the earlier Presidents in this book. But in my lifetime, I have had the most admiration for past presidents George Bush (the first one) and Bill Clinton. Reading about the relationship they have built  was really refreshing to me. It gives me a sliver of hope for the future of our country that is so torn right now.

This book was not political, at all. The authors were straight-forward and unbiased. If you enjoy presidential or American history I definitely recommend this one. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment