Monday, February 11, 2013

Queenbees and Wannabees



Queen Bees & Wannabees: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends and the New Realities of Girl World by Rosalind Wiseman

Girls can be really mean. I remember this well from my own childhood. Unfortunately, for several years, I was one of those mean girls. As an adult it is hard to remember the reason for my behavior. I think I was just self-absorbed and didn't realize how my actions impacted others at that age. I wanted to be in control and I didn't know how to be diplomatic. I shudder to think of some of the things I said/did to other girls. Now, with my own daughter, I worry about how mean girls might affect her in the coming years.

Wiseman's book is a good read for parents of girls. I would say the pertinent age range is 10+. Since my daughter is only 8, I didn't feel like most of the book pertained to us.

While the information is good, you can clearly see where Wiseman inserts her personal beliefs and sometimes comes across as sanctimonious. Also, some of the advice seems overly simplistic.

Overall, I got some good information here. I need to re-read in a few years!

No comments:

Post a Comment