Friday, February 1, 2013

Loving Frank

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan

Beautifully written. I am not usually a fan of fiction based on real events, but I did enjoy this one.

People familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright know the premise of this story. He and Mamah Borthwick had an affair that effectively ended both of their marriages. This resulted in quite a scandal, as Wright was well-known and respected. Horan does an excellent job of portraying the emotions that could have been driving both of these people.

I could understand the emotions of falling in love with someone when you shouldn't. The part that I find so incomprehensible is when a Mother leaves her children, for any reason, but especially for a man. Mamah basically abandons her children to chase after a dream of being with Wright.

While I was familiar on the basics of the affair, I did not know how it ended. Horan describes this perfectly, playing upon the many emotions I was already feeling.

A good, dramatic book for the reader who enjoys historic fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment