Thursday, January 17, 2013

Waiting for Birdy

Waiting for Birdy by Catherine Newman

As a Mother of two, I could relate to this author. Newman writes about the feelings she experienced during her second pregnancy.  

The way I felt the first time I was pregnant was very different from my second pregnancy. A second pregnancy is more complex. The main thought I had was that it wasn't possible to love a second child as much as I loved my first. I honestly thought other Mothers were lying when they said you can feel that same kind of love for a second time. I was worried that I just wouldn't love #2, I was worried about disrupting #1's life. My center had been expanded to include #1, but how could it possibly get bigger?  But then the second baby was born. And I loved him just as fiercely. It's amazing, really. 

Another part of the book I related to was how you feel after you bring the second baby home. I felt on edger, irritable and impatient. Then guilty. Always guilty that I didn't have enough time to spend.

I felt Newman went on a bit too much at times, but overall I really enjoyed this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment