Friday, January 4, 2013

The Wishing Trees

The Wishing Trees by John Shors


Ian, the main character is struggling to cope with the loss of his beloved wife. He has become a single father to 10-year old Mattie and must help her grieve, while grieving on his own. His wife wanted him to take Mattie on a trip across Asia. He isn't sure he wants to take the trip, but wants to honor Kate's last wish. The trip is therapeutic and they find a way to continue in a world that has been turned upside down.

John Shors wrote this novel with such beautiful language. Honestly, it was almost too painful to read at times. I could put myself in the dying Mother role, the lost little girl role and the confused Father role. I could put my own daughter in the role of losing me. Definitely not a light read, but one I treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment