Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Good Women of China

The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices by Xinran

A poignant, moving recount of women's survival stories in 20th century China. Xinran hosted a radio show in the 1980’s. Chinese women were encouraged to relate their struggles and improve their lives. She beautifully relates some of the most touching stories in this book.

One of the stories has stayed with me long after finishing the book. A woman survives an earthquake that destroys her home. She cannot find her daughter. When she finds her, the daughter is impaled in the rubble, but still alive. The Mother stays with her dying daughter for days. This story gave me nightmares and earned this Mother a permanent place in my prayers and in my heart. How horrific to watch your daughter slowly die? Just the thought makes me ill.

I recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment