Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Fifty Shades Darker

Fifty Shades Darker by EL James

Initial verdict: The second book in this series is better than the first. The writing is still not good, but I did feel that it was planned and edited slightly better than the first. Somehow, through all the annoyances, it held my attention.

This installment actually wanders into some type of plot (gasp!). There is a crazy ex stalking Ana and Cristian goes all protective of his girl. Then there is a crazy guy stalking Ana (theme anyone?) and Christian is all alpha-male annoyed. There is jealousy and make up sex.

Yawn….

Sorry! Where was I?

The sex scenes were more plentiful in book two, though only incrementally more steamy. I actually started to SKIP OVER the sex scenes. There were just too many. They can't resist each other...on the elevator, on the boat, in the shower, pretty much wherever they are a sex scene is sure to follow. He is playing the piano in the middle of the night…and SURPRISE! They do it on the piano. (That is SO stolen from Pretty Woman!!)

My favorite thing is when women say, “But it’s a LOVE story!” I beg to differ with that pronouncement. Christian and Ana have knows each other for an entire 3 weeks now. Having sex on every available surface is not love, kiddos.

My final judgement on this one: Marginally entertaining, but terribly cliche.

I feel like I have to read the third and final book, to see how it ends. My expectations are set pretty low!
I can probably guess...Weeks 4 and 5...Christian and Ana are terribly in love. They go places, they have sex. Everyone loves the irresistible Ana and the guy from the previous book is trying to get revenge for her rejection of him. The older woman from the other book causes problems. Christian protects Ana (and controls her). She loves it. She tries to have a deep thought a few times...but can't manage to complete it. They do it some more. Christian is miraculously cured of his childhood issues with sexual control. They get married and live happily ever after. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment