Thursday, January 10, 2013

Random Family

Random Family: Love, Drugs, Trouble and Coming of Age in the Bronx by Adrian LeBlanc

LeBlanc researched this book for over 10 years. She uses interviews and observations for a poignant telling of life in the Bronx. A side of urban poverty is shown that most people don't take the time to consider.

I liked this book. I especially engaged with CoCo and I hope she has been able to break out of the cycle of poverty.

One aside, this book only follows a handful of people. Judgmental people may take this book and generalize it to everyone living in poverty or everyone in the Bronx. However, there are many other people that are hard working and law abiding that survive in poverty. This isn't the book that tells those stories.

I wish LeBlanc would have chosen to focus only on Jessica or only on CoCo. The volume of new people introduced throughout the book became overwhelming. I felt CoCo's story was most interesting and would have loved to read more from her point of view.

I have been so blessed in my life. I have never been challenged with the struggles of poverty and I feel strongly compassionate for those that have.

No comments:

Post a Comment