Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hellhound on his Trail

Hellhound on his Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin by Hampton Sides

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a man willing to stand on the side of justice. If only there were more people willing to do that….I have read extensively about his life and his ideals, but very little, specifically, about his assassination.

Sides provides a well researched account of events leading up to, and following his April 4th, 1968 assassination. Most of the detail surrounds the 65 day search for the assassin.

I was a bit put off by the alternating stories being told. One chapter is about Ray, the next about King. I found this was a bit confusing, since so much detail is being reported. I get that Sides was trying to show how they were on two paths set to converge, but it just didn’t work well, for me.

This was a little flat for me. I give points for detail, but deductions for being completely emotionless and sometimes too harsh. It was a struggle to finish, but I learned some new information, which is always a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment