Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Catching Fire AND MockingJay

Catching Fire AND MockingJay by Suzanne Collins
This is a VERY long post…because these books really moved me. Collins has an amazing talent.

Warning: SPOILERS!! If you haven’t read the trilogy, and have plans to do so, don’t read this post! I can’t write my thoughts without some spoilers.

Starting with “Catching Fire”---After “Hunger Games” I wasn’t sure the sequel could possibly compare. Katniss and Peeta had survived the games, so what could be next? Collins penned a sequel that, in my opinion, surpassed the first. 

Katniss and Peeta are forced back into the games for an “all-star” season. I couldn’t stop reading. How could they both end up surviving again? Would Peeta sacrifice himself for Katniss? Or would Katniss somehow allow Peeta to survive, ensuring her own demise? New, interesting characters are introduced. I was enthralled with the plot and the characters. 

I had a hard time really engaging with Katniss in “Hunger Games.” I liked her…but I didn't. “Catching Fire” enables the reader to see new depth in her character. She starts to see that life is not always black and white as she becomes a figurehead for something so much larger than herself, something she struggles to even understand.
 
On the other hand, I loved Peeta from the beginning and my feelings for him grew even stronger. He is the pivotal character (more on this below). In this book Collins starts to contrast Peeta and Gale.  I was firmly in the Peeta camp! While both male characters are loyal to Katniss you can see how Peeta is the perfect contrast to her character. Her rock, if you will. Katniss is blind to this (her age, I think), but begins to rely on him, put her trust in him. And was "love" for you at 16? Some complaints on the book asked for more romance, but you have to remember that these characters are teenagers. Katniss is confused. Her friendship with Gale is solid and they are so much alike. Yet, she also fiercely protects Peeta, even making a deal with Haymitch that she will die in the second games so that he can live. Is that not love? 
 
Haymitch also fleshes out in this sequel into a valuable character. He was unlikable in the prequel, but here he comes alive.

A unique and riveting plot, emotionally charged characters, love, horror, sadness, politics, war…it’s all here. And the ending…masterful.

“MockingJay.” –

I started this book looking for Peeta on every page. I have to admit that, about halfway through, I skimmed through the last 2 chapters because I just couldn’t stand it.

Fast moving, I couldn’t stop reading. Added to the previous plot lines, this third and final book focused almost completely on revolution, politics and war. There are important messages to take away.

I think a lot of people felt that Katniss would fight, the revolution would end, she would pick a boyfriend and everyone would live happily ever after. I respect Collins for not going that route. She suffers…they all do. Life is not a happily ever after. For you to be happy, right now at this very moment, many others have to suffer. Collins forces you to strip off your blinders about that fact. In a war there are no winners…everyone loses something. Katniss discovers that she is a pawn in a much larger game.

What happens with Peeta was hard for me. Katniss loses her rock. And in losing it discovers that she needs it more than ever. All of the survivors have to cope on their own. They sacrifice for everyone else, but that doesn’t protect them from the aftermath. Countries demand this of their soldiers every day, to give their all without reward. To leave their families, leave their homes and not count on coming home.

In the end we see Katniss completely broken. But she rises from the ashes and, with help, builds a new life. The cycle of life…it’s bigger than every individual person.

This book brought me to tears. The end was phenomenal and I absolutely loved it.

Overall Trilogy thoughts:

For me, personally, Peeta was the star of this series. He is the character that kept me reading. He represents what is good in life--love, compassion, kindness. He is the gold standard. At one point, in book three, I was a little angry that Collins took that away from him. I think his character could have gone another direction and still fit into the plot, even in a stronger way. But you see him, a prisoner of war, broken and damaged, coming back with absolutely nothing and his goodness still redeems in the end.

So that is the one thing that I didn’t like; Collins really backed off the theme of Katniss and Peeta in book three. I didn't like the "love triangle" aspect so much. It didn’t seem there should really be a choice between Gale and Peeta. I wanted Katniss to be stronger for Peeta. But maybe that was the intention…in life you skate a thin line between fire (anger, hatred, being oppressed--Gale) and water (calmness, love, contentment--Peeta).

Beyond the dystopian fantasy these books have deep meaning. You have to look for it, but it’s there. Peel back a very thin layer and you can see a world that we all live in today—the alarmist media, reality television, suffering of many, the power of money, revolution, corruption in politics…it’s there. Look into the symbolism of birds, fire and bread...I could go on and on. Brilliant.

I feel like I should mention again that these books are incredibly violent and disturbing. I’m still surprised that young kids are reading them. The second and third both grow more violent. Parents should take into account when their children want to read this trilogy.

I hope you made it through my lengthy thoughts! I could discuss for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment