Friday, July 20, 2012

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

I found “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society” by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows next on my reading list.

I found myself discouraged, at first, by the imposing title and the fact that it has two authors. But I gave it a chance and, overall, was glad I did.

The book follows Juliet, a writer who receives a fan letter and begins to become enthralled with the island of Guernsey and a book club there. She decides to visit and write a book about the German occupation.

I loved the descriptions of the island. The authors made me want to visit. On the other hand, I disliked the portrayal of the characters. There were simply too many. And in having too many, I think they suffered. Most of them were very superficially drawn and didn’t seem real. I liked the format and the story-telling, but did not like the characters or the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment