Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Secret Life of Bees

A book that demonstrates to me the power of women creating a safe haven for others is “The Secret Life of Bees” by Sue Monk Kidd.

This story unfolds with an honest, touching voice that recalled to me emotions of my childhood. Set in the South, during the Civil Rights movement, the main character--Lily Owens, has a love inside that knows no boundaries. She overcomes societal expectations and constraints to find a family to share that love.

The book spoke to me in so many ways. I am against society creating organized groups of people who then make it their duty to look down on other groups of people. Lily Owens touched that part of me, the non-conforming part that just wants people to be treated as people, for minds to overcome the ridiculous rules of societies and for love to be all important. If you have a family that doesn’t value you, find another that does!

No comments:

Post a Comment