Monday, April 23, 2012

The Help

I read “The Help” by Kathryn Stockett before it was made into a movie. I have not seen the movie, but absolutely loved the book.

Amazing fact--this is Stockett’s first novel and it was supposedly rejected over 50 times before being published! Aspiring writers take heart, and keep your hope alive.

Her writing is moving and creates an intense intimacy with the characters. Set in the 1960’s in Mississippi it is laced with racial tension. Told from multiple POV, you can really feel the emotions of that time in history.

I felt closest to the Aibileen character, put upon, oppressed, but never broken. The relationships she shared were heart-warming and true. She was raising the child of her employer with love and compassion, and while she was good enough to take care of their children, she could not even use an indoor bathroom in their home. I had tears in my eyes thinking of this strong woman, being reduced in such a manner. The character of Skeeter was also inspirational, as she went outside of her comfort zone to do the right thing. There are few people in life who stand up against the crowd for what is right, when they are on the "right" side already. I appreciated that Stockett added a character who did just that.

I definitely recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment