Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Prayer for Owen Meany


John Irving won my heart with "A Prayer for Owen Meany." This is, perhaps, one of my favorite books of all time.

Strong spiritual issues are introduced throughout the book. What is the meaning of life? What is faith? What is fate? I tend to be drawn into anything spiritual in nature and this book has this theme in spades.

I was in love with Owen Meany. His intelligence and wit command attention throughout the book. You can truly learn from anyone in your life, especially from people vastly different then yourself. This is what happens to John in this book, through his friendship with Owen. Events that happen in life can increase our wisdom in startling ways.

The book is quite long and takes time for a serious read, but I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment