Thursday, August 8, 2013

She Said Yes

She Said Yes: The Unlikely Martyrdom of Cassie Bernall by Misty Bernall
The Columbine tragedy remains one of America’s most notorious mass shootings. The horror of children been ambushed at school is something that has stayed with me since.

This is written by the Mother of one of the young women who died at Columbine. I was torn, reading this. I feel incredible sympathy for this Mother. Losing a child is simply unimaginable. However, as I read, I truly felt that this is a book that should not have been written. I felt like a voyeur, reading things that Cassie had written that I’m sure she never would have wanted to share with the world.  I felt that this Mother was trying to rewrite the history of her daughter and that made me feel even more sad for her.

If writing this book gave this grieving Mother comfort, I am happy for her. If other teenagers take comfort in these words, it was worthwhile. For me, it was not a book that I got anything from, except sadness for the family. Not a recommend.

If you are looking for an in-depth description of what happened at Columbine, try Dave Cullen’s “Columbine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment