Friday, August 30, 2013

Bright Lights Big Ass

Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl’s Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? by Jen Lancaster

I found myself quite amused by Lancaster’s first memoir “Bitter is the New Black.” Her sarcasm earned her a place on my “authors to read” list. In this follow-up, she shows that life in the big city isn’t always glamorous. She contrasts real life with fake life on Sex in the City. If only life could be how it is portrayed on TV!

First, if you don’t enjoy sarcasm you should stay away from Lancaster. Many reviewers of her books seem to take everything she says at face value. In my opinion, most of what she says is flip and meant to be humorous. Is she a bit judgmental and maybe a bit immature? Sure. But I think she plays a lot of that up to make it more amusing. Overall, I really like her. Well…aside from the Fox News thing, which I just can’t say I approve of.

At times, this is LOL funny. Kudos to Lancaster for putting herself out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment