Friday, June 14, 2013

The World According to Garp

The World According to Garp by John Irving

In my opinion John Irving resides among the very best contemporary authors. He writes with an innate elegance; in vivid and realistic detail. The reader finds herself in the story, right alongside the characters. The way he can create a multi-dimensional story is a rare talent. This particular novel is tragic, comedic, dramatic and moving. It can’t really be categorized, except as a classic.

Irving forces one to think; this is no mindless read. There are deep, complex characters facing regular issues in life. Some of the points intermingling include: feminism, sex, writing, insanity, love, adultery, marriage, and parenting. There is so much substance here that one reading will not suffice.

In this particular work, two things impact me the most--the fear of a parent and the fear of a writer.
There is a strong focus on the parent/child relationship. Garp’s story begins before his conception. The beginning focuses on how Jenny Fields chose to conceive and raise her son. Then the focus shifts to how Garp parents his own children.

The way a parent feels about a child cannot be explained, but I could poignantly feel it in Irving’s words; the worry, the fear, the overwhelming feeling that a child is a part of your very being. I don’t want to spoil the story for those who haven’t read it, but the tragedy that occurs overwhelmed me. Irving is quoted as saying “In my imagination, I lose my children every day.” Isn’t that the truth? I try not to, but my mind always goes there.

The feelings of a writer are portrayed through Garp. A writer’s own experiences are a base for every work. Imagination takes over to fill out the story, but at the root it is your life. This is an intimate feeling that is hard to describe. Personally, I often feel naked when I share my work. I have several pieces that I’ve not been able to share for that very reason. Garp’s character touched on many of my feelings about my own talent.

“In the World According to Garp we are all terminal cases.” Yes, yes we are.

Simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment