Friday, May 23, 2014

The Color of Water



The Color of Water by James McBride

McBride has written a moving tribute to his mother. He tells her story while also detailing his own journey. His Mother, Ruth, is a white Jewish woman who made choices in her life to cut ties with those holding her back and live her life to her own standards. James is one of her eleven children. He shares his experiences of growing up poor and bi-racial and how he overcame obstacles to find success.

Two things about this book really touched me. The first is the relationship of a Mother to her child. There is nothing more special in life than that bond. I hope I can pass onto my own children the strength of character that Ruth did for James.

Also, being bi-racial can be a hard path. I could relate to James’ experience.

Beautifully told.

No comments:

Post a Comment