Monday, January 13, 2014

Into Thin Air

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

I was aware of the hiking tragedy on Mt. Everest that happened in 1996, but I just recently read Krakauer’s first-person account. After the book, I did more research into the controvery that ensued after publishing. The controvery was about Kraukauer's portrayal of some of the climbers. Survivors had different perceptions of what happened on that mountain and on what might prevented the disaster. But in the end, an author can only relate his own experience, his own feelings.

I found Krakauer’s account to be harrowing and sad. He put his emotion into his words and I could feel the danger, the disbelief, the agony. He tried to give the reader a sense of what it was like on the mountain, what it was like when the chance of survival had become razor thin. I also found his account to be balanced and fair.

A definite recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment