Friday, June 1, 2012

A Child Called It

I first read “A Child Called It” by Dave Pelzer in high school. This story has stayed with me and I have since read it again. Gripping and heart-rending, Pelzer’s memoir details his childhood of severe child abuse.

Children are my soft spot. When I hear a story of neglect or abuse, it affects me. I think of these children often and I hurt for them. The horror of Pelzer’s abuse is absolutely impossible to fathom. As a small boy, he experienced a loss of his very identity. All of his rights, to even basic human dignity, were denied. The emotions I experienced through Pelzer’s words were so intense.

The moral of the story, the strength of his spirit to overcome such atrocities, is worth so much to me. Watch out for signs of child abuse and don’t let other children go through a childhood like this. Pelzer was robbed of a childhood of unconditional love and support; robbed of innocent dreams and whimsies. And these are things he can never get back. If I can touch even one hurt child's life, that is a true meaning to my life.

Pelzer has a follow up book in "The Lost Boy." This is also a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment