Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Raising Your Spirited Child

For any parent coping with a strong-willed or highly energetic child, "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy is a good resource.

Some of the words used to describe kids in the "spirited" category are intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent and energetic. If you ever thought your child may be hard to control or "difficult" this book gives strategies and helps change your perspective.

I’ve been told my children are strong-willed by their doctor, teachers, friends and family members. I actually read this book looking for ways to deal with my son’s behavior (intense, passionate, energetic). I ended up getting more out of it pertaining to my daughter (introverted, sensitive, perceptive). I feel like this book truly gave me some parenting skills I was lacking. Instead of viewing their behavior as "problematic" I took in some of the suggestions and also took the time to realize how truly wonderful those qualities will be in their adulthood. I don’t want to kill their spirit, in any way.

My son has been intense and passionate from the day he was born. He doesn’t do things halfway. I love his passion and I can’t wait to see what he does with his life; I forsee great success for him. My daughter struggles with her introverted nature. She marches to her own drummer, and I love that about her. I am touched by her kindness to others and her sensitivity toward those less fortunate than herself.

Nurturing all strong qualities in your children helps then develop amazing strengths throughout their life. Thinking of your child’s "problem" qualities in positive terms gives you a new insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment