Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How Evan Broke His Head

How Evan Broke His Head and Other Secrets by Garth Stein

This is the story of Evan, a 30-something rock guitarist who finds he has a teenage son when his Mother dies. Evan thought she had an abortion, but instead she secretly had Dean and Evan never knew. Evan and Dean must become acquainted and their struggles are very character driven and emotional. Evan is struggling with his lack of drive and success, at least according to his family. He is also fighting his body as his epilepsy is out of his control. Dean is fighting his grief and anger at being abandoned by his Father. He struggles to understand the decisions his Mother made.

The end is very odd and I’m still deciding what I think about it.

Overall, I could feel Stein’s voice peeking through…while not up to the quality of his later work definitely above average. He hooked me with “The Art of Racing in the Rain.” While I didn’t love this work, I respected it.

No comments:

Post a Comment