Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pure Murder

Pure Murder by Corey Mitchell
 
I should really stop reading true crime. It only makes me an emotional and scared to boot!

This book recounts the horrific murder of two teenage girls: Elizabeth Pena and Jennifer Ertman. This book made me feel anger, frustration, horror, sadness, hopelessness, fear…Those poor girls. The fact that human beings can be such monsters is a scary thing, indeed.

I thought the book was a bit graphic at times, but it’s a true story, so I suppose leaving out the actual details would be dishonest.

I followed up on the men who committed this horrific crime. 3 of them have been put to death, 3 of them are serving life sentences. I was shocked to discover that some women started a page to try to free one of the men. And on that page were trying to explain away this unspeakable crime. Excuses for this man ranged from his age, drugs and alcohol, even stooping to the low of blaming the parents of the girls for allowing them to walk home that evening. I was disgusted and heartbroken for the families having to read this and know that people support this man and try to excuse what he has done. There is no excuse. 

I hurt for the terror these girls had to experience in their last moments. And I hurt for their loved ones left to remember them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment