Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A Thousand Splendid Suns



A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Hosseini has done it again. This book is, simply stated, amazing. The story starts off slow but quickly picks up speed. I kept thinking…surely things cannot get worse, but then they do.

Covering a period of 40-50 years, this story is told in four parts that converge. It is a rich, emotional story, set in Afghanistan. Religion, class, the role of women and motherhood are themes that play strongly in this novel.

Mariam is an illegitimate daughter raised by her Mother, rejected by her Father. Her story was the hardest for me, emotionally. She is stoic and everything I would wish to be. I loved her from the beginning and with every kick she suffered I felt the pain.

Laila grows up differently. She is loved dearly by her Father, not used to the typical role that women are placed into, until tragedy strikes. For this character, her role as a mother was heartbreaking for me. The points where she is forced to protect her child had me in tears. I cannot imagine the decisions a Mother in this cultural would have to make.

Both main characters are forced into a marriage. Their struggle to survive, to live a worthwhile life was both tragic and hopeful. I am incredibly blessed to live in a country that recognizes women as (relatively) equal to men. And a country that allows freedom. The life of the women depicted in this book torments me.

No comments:

Post a Comment