Friday, December 13, 2013

The Paris Wife

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

Hadley Richardson loved Ernest Hemingway before he became a famous author. They were not married for long, but at the end of his memoir “A Movable Feast” he writes of her, saying “ I wish I had died before I loved anyone but her.” The regret in that statement is palpable.

McLain researched Hemingway and Richardson through their biographies and letters. With this she built a beautiful story of their romance and marriage.

Hemingway’s failure to remain faithful is legendary. In this book we see this from Richardson’s side. Told from her point of view, the reader is quickly engrossed in their relationship.

The 1920’s was a time of emerging voices and changes in American culture. I would have loved to live in this period. The writing reflects the shine of that era.

Hemingway is extremely complex and interesting. I knew a lot about his writing, his lifestyle and his suicide. However, I knew little about his first marriage. I enjoyed this book immensely. A recommend for the historic fiction reader or the literature buff.

No comments:

Post a Comment