Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Hello, my name is Lindsay…and I’m a recovering YA snob. Yes, it’s true. I used to feel like my reading level was “above” the Young Adult section. I always assumed that these books were geared toward young (teen) readers and would not appeal to an adult reader. Over the past few years I have realized, in many cases, that this assumption was wrong. Sure, there are still some YA novels that I didn’t particularly engage in (aka Harry Potter series), but there are also a growing number that have been quite intriguing.

The Hunger Games did not seem like a book I would enjoy. First, the description threw me for a loop. I don’t typically love futuristic settings. Second, I knew parents with grade school children reading the series, so it seemed too young to appeal to me. However, I knew I needed to give it a try so I could pass a verdict and I’m so glad I did!

The story moves quickly, the characters are compelling and the disturbing nature of the plot keeps the reader engaged. Collins shows a rare talent for both character development and suspenseful timing.

I am surprised younger children are reading this series. I personally wouldn’t; the plot is brutal and portions are very violent. I would rate it for ages 13+.

No comments:

Post a Comment