Monday, July 8, 2013

Plain Truth

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult

My opinion of Picoult's work varies. I like her style and her ability to draw controversial, complex characters. I don't always like her execution. She tends to throw a lot of weighty topics into her books and then fails to do them justice.

This book merges the story of Katie, a young Amish woman and Ellie, an ambitious attorney. Katie's baby is found dead in a barn and she is subsequently charged with murder. Ellie must defend her, despite her misgivings about her client's way of life and of her very innocence.

I loved exploring the life of those who live "plain." The Amish lifestyle has always been intriguing to me.

I didn't like Ellie's character or, honestly, much about the plot.

If you like Picoult, you will probably like this one. I wanted it to go deeper and was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment