Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Spirit Catches You

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman

This book explores the clash of two cultures--Hmong and American. Lia Lee, a Hmong child is very ill. The Californian doctors diagnose her with epilepsy. Her parents don't understand American medicine. Tragedy ensues as the cultures clash on what is best for Lia. The American doctors want to heal her using Western medicine, the parents want to care for her using their own customs. Both people want what they think is best for the child.

The part where Lia is taken away from her parents was heartbreaking for me. I cannot imagine the pain that she was in being separated from her very loving family. And my heart was with her Mother. I cannot fathom having a sick child ripped away from me.

This was my first introduction to the Hmong. The author does a good job of explaining their history in Laos and the reasons for their immigration to America. At times it felt as if she were generalizing an entire group of people, as I'm sure not all Hmong are identical to the Lees. Overall I think her depiction is balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment