Monday, October 22, 2012

Half the Sky

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide by Nicholas Kristof

Passionately written, a plea to take notice of oppression of women and girls around the world. Kristof, writing with Sheryl WuDunn, takes the reader from Africa and Asia and introduces women who struggle to survive. From sex slaves, to lack of health care, to harrowing discrimination.

This book made me both sad and angry. It helped to reignite my goals of helping others. Yes, I'm just one person, but I can do small things that make a big difference in so many lives.

I am so thankful to be born into a country where, as a woman, I am free to be what I want to be. Putting myself in the place of the women in these stories is painful. But I also see the goodness of the human spirit, in both the writers, and in the women who survive these atrocities and still hang onto hope.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment